Sunday, February 4, 2007

Week 4, Ex 9

Perhaps it's because I'm too lazy, or that I really don't have a lot of time (or the desire) to search through blogs, news, podcasts, etc., but I really thought that Bloglines had the best variety of feeds for me. I found some from sites I already visit: Digg, slate, sj mercury, and nytimes, and I also found some that I've never heard of like Popgadget: Personal tech for women, and Obscure sound, an indie music blog.

I tried using Technocrati and Syndic8 and I found both of them too overwhelming. There were a lot of blogs to go through and a lot of them were just personal ones that I had no interest in. I guess I can see if I was really interested in a specific topic, I may want to look for others that share my interest. But my interests are pretty broad and a couple of well-known feeds should cover my need. :)

Besides using newsfeed sites, I also tried searching for newsfeeds I thought should exist. For example, I wanted to know if The Daily Show had an RSS feed and yay! they did. It's obviously not the quickest way to search for feeds, but it still worked.

I also use the "personalize" feature on Google. Rather than have the standard google.com home page, you can choose all of these different feeds, games, news, etc. to show up on the home page. It's just like the yahoo! home page except very specific to what you choose to be on it. I currently have on my Google page: the date, world news stories, local news, the weather in Cupertino, and the "how to" articles of the day.

As mentioned in my previous entry, I never used Bloglines until now and I find it really useful and convenient. Now there's one more thing to distract me @ work!

2 comments:

tripod said...

ahoi... you need to update this blog or else you're fired. You missed Melvin's last day. oh well. see ya tomorrow.

Virtual Services Team said...

I agree, the tagging sites can be overwhelming. As long as you know they're there you are more likely to use them, so you are one step farther along.

Good job on Learning 2.0 so far - you are almost to the halfway mark!