Monday, March 19, 2007

Week 6, Ex. 14

I've never really looked around Technorati until now. It's a huge website and even looking at the home page makes me think, "Yeesh.. these are a lot of blogs." Even though I consider myself a somewhat consistent blogger, I'm really not into reading them very much; there just seems to be way too many out there. I don't even know where to begin. So perhaps this is why sites like Technorati are useful! (duh)

The one thing I did notice when I took a look at the popular page on Technorati was that even though this site totes itself on having blogs from mr. or ms. regular dude, many of the most popular blogs are still ones from big sites (boingboing, google, Huffington post, slashdot, etc.). I know that popularity is based on the number of people who list the blog as their favorite, and of course, the people and companies who are already popular will have a bigger fan base. But it would just be cool to have Mr. Joe Shmoe's blog be in the top 10. :)

~~~~~
As a librarian, I really like the tagging aspect of all of these sites we've been looking at. The more organized I can make things, the better. The tagging linked with the concept of web 2.0 allows for people to find similar interest via their photos, bookmarks, blog entries, or where ever tags are being used.

I guess the only potential problem I see with tags can actually be considered a good thing as well. Since anyone can tag something anything they want, there may be some paths that never cross that should! For example, if I tag something as "learning2.0", it may never get picked up from someone who tags a similar entry as "learning2.0" or "web2.0". There are probably sites that already group similar tags together, but I can see how some connections may never be made because of this.

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

One of the tagging problems I worry about is the whole controlled vocabulary kind of thing, kind of like what you were referring to. Hopefully people know to search more than once if their results are less than what they hope for.